She is a leading NARS makeup stylist. She travels from fashion week to fashion week doing makeup for leading fashion houses. Outside of fashion week, she continues to trot around the globe creating beautiful looks for leading magazines and top brands such as Jimmy Choo. And all in the name of NARS.
She is Jane Richardson, international lead NARS makeup stylist. I joined her recently for an evening she hosted and picked up some great tips. I also found an alternative to my failsafe ruby red lipstick… Ahem, the Audacious Lipstick in Lana shade. It’s a brilliant red, with a slight orange tint, that makes people sit up and notice.
What I learnt from a leading NARS makeup stylist:
1. Don’t drink coffee before doing your liquid eyeliner wings (note to self!). Liquid eyeliner wings take practice but you aren’t going to get anywhere with that practice if your hand is ticking/shaking like a jackhammer.
2. Step back from the mirror whilst doing your make up. Often we have our face right up against the mirror which doesn’t really give you realistic view of how your overall look is coming along.
3. Adding a bold colour is like having a facelift. It can totally transform your look and everyone sees colour differently. Give it a go, it’s only lipstick and you can always take it off.
4. Try something new for three days before you decide to dump the new look. If you are trying something bold for the first time, it will look different and take some getting used to. Give it three days and see if it grows on you and you feel more comfortable with the change.
5. Every face is different so what works on a model in a magazine, may not work for you. Jane says that in fashion week the make up artists are given a look to replicate but their face shape and bone structure of each model varies. The make up artists are skilled at making the look work on different faces but don’t worry if you can’t copy a look you have seen.
It was great to get some tips from Jane Richardson (and take a peek inside her brush bag). I’m definitely going to try so a bit bolder, especially in winter when our wardrobes tend to head for the black/grey colour scheme.
We were also treated to some fabulous NARS goodie bags containing NARS Lip Liner Pencil, NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base and NARS Andy Warhol Eyeshadow Palette (Flower 2).
The NARS Andy Warhol Eyeshadow Palette is a treat! The mirror is inscribed with the Warhol quote “You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you.”